A patent is an exclusive right granted by the government authority for a technical creation, namely, an invention. The invention can be a product, a process/method, or a system having new combination of technical features, which offers a new technical solution to a problem.
Patent protection can be sought after if your invention is a newly developed product of manufacture, composition of matter, process/method or system. In order to get a patent granted, the invention must meet the patentability requirements, including novelty (it is new and not made public), inventiveness (it is not obvious to a skilled person in the art) and industrially applicability (it can be used in an industry). A granted patent is given a duration of 20 years from the date of filing, provided that the annuity is timely paid.
In Malaysia, there is also another form of protection for an invention which is not inventive, i.e. by filing a utility innovation (UI). A granted UI is given a duration of 10 years, and can be renewed twice, for 5 years each, subject to use.
We provide patent and UI services from analytical, protection to commercialization. Please speak with us if you would like to learn more.
- Patentability Assessment/ Patent Novelty Search
- Freedom-to-operate (FTO) Analysis
- Patent Equivalent/ Family/ Portfolio Search
- Patent Drafting
- Malaysia Patent Application
- Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Application
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Maintenance/ Renewal
- Patent Due Diligence Exercise
- Patent Infringement Analysis/ Opinion
- Patent Landscape Analysis
- Patent Watch
- Disclosure Review